Jul 25, 2008

Batty


When I was at my friend Pat's farm, he told me that they sometimes get bats in the house. He lives in a giant old barn converted into the family's living quarters. Yun and I were staying upstairs in the main room. We were having some wine late one night about to go to sleep. I looked up and noticed their was a bat hanging on the wall. Of course I said nothing to Yun. She would have freaked out and then we couldn't have slept in that room. I was too tired to deal with that so I just said nothing. I signaled to Pat and he saw it too and laughed. He told us a story about one cat in particular that he had. The cat was an expert at catching bats. He said when a bat gets in the house it will fly around. He doesn't care but his wife would go nuts. The cat would observe the bat and then pick it's moment and then leap into the air. He'd snag the bat in mid flight and trap him under his paw on the ground. Pat said he never killed them. Just trapped them. Then Pat would scoop them up and release them outside. Too bad for us his latest cat, Jimino, didn't have similar skills. We slept fine and I noticed the bat was gone in the morning.

No comments: