Jan 24, 2009

Lost And Found


In high school, my best friend was Timmy Valcante. Somewhere along the way in life I lost touch with him. He never left my mind though. i would think about him all the time. Recently I have reunited with my beautiful cousin Eileen. She was someone else I lost also. Turns out Eileen married a guy from my high school who stayed in touch with a guy who still knew the whereabouts of my friend Timmy. I got the guy's number and started out to track down Valcante's number. The problem was, the guy who had the number was never home. I called day and night. I'd try at odd hours but nothing worked. I was relentless. Finally one night Danny answered his phone, it had taken two months. Although we didn't know each other that well in high school, he remembered me. He did indeed have my friend Timmy's number. Dan and I spent an hour telling stories and cracking each other up. Finally I had my old friend's number in my hand. It was amazing and scary. I waited a few days before I called. It's never easy calling someone out of the blue. I cracked open a cold Red Stripe beer and dialed the number. His daughter answered and I told her I was an old pal of her dad. He came on the line and a great reunion began. It took a minute or two and then the stories flowed like a Sam Kinison concert. It was an incredible and healing experience for both of us. I had always been thinking and worrying about what happened to him and he was doing the same. We filled each other in on what happened to us. He married an old friend of mine from high school. Dolores. I was thrilled two great people who I dug so much found each other. Now we are back in each others life. Hopefully for good. I felt a whole lot better about the world waking up this morning.

1 comment:

Mark Slater said...

hello sir!
that's so neat about you and your friend from highschool. glad you were able to reconnect. just wanted to say thanks very much - i got the stickers and they're great. i'll send you a link when i've taken some pictures of them stuck up around town. where did you get them made?