Jun 22, 2009

SFG: Ad Boy - Winners Announced!

First of all thank you to all who participated. We had a great number of fantastic submissions for this unique challenge. I hope you all had a lot of fun, I sure had fun checking back daily to see what new submissions had been added.

I spoke with Warren tonight and he shared with me that he really had a hard time choosing just one winner - so we've decided that three lucky participants will win!

In Warren's own words:
"Hi Jeff,

The submissions were so good that I decided we'll give three AD BOY's for the contest. All the entries were terrific and it was very difficult to choose one over another.

The winners in no particular order are:

Ridd Sorenson's Firekid and friend: This box of fictitious Crispy Crunchies is ridiculously on the mark it looks like it came right off the shelf of a 1960's grocery store. Besides his artistic mastery, Ridd got extra bonus points with the ladder-climbing Firekid Ad Boy since my Dad was a NYC fireman who rode the hook and ladder his whole career. Having a cute giraffe and letting everyone know he loved Meet Mr. Product didn't hurt the cause. Congratulations Ridd.
























Teaessare's Dinghy Davy's Dolphin in a Can: Not only has Teassare made a social commentary about what some people call suicidefoodism he also taught us the term Droste effect. Extra points for a thumbs up tuna and and not one but three colorful and crisp ad characters that want to make you smile. A big high five to Teassare's other contests submissions as well.





Zack Rocks' Celibate Sasquatch. A weird and funny ad character in a weird and funny fake ad campaign. I liked Zack's other entries as well. But the NATRLVR license plate and hand print on the steamy windshield put Bigfoot in the winner circle."






















Congratulations to Ridd, TS and Zack! Well done!

I'll be contacting the winners via e-mail to get ahold of their snail-mail addresses. Thanks again to everyone who took part in this great challenge, it is my hope to have more like it in the future...it was a lot of fun!

I'd like to extend a very special thank you to Warren Dotz, the author of Meet Mr. Product: The Art of the Advertising Character, and the newly published Ad Boy: Vintage Advertising With Character. Thank you Warren for a very special, very unique and very fun challenge, we wish you all the best with this great new book! I'd also like to extend a warm round of thanks to Susan Pi, Warren's publicist with Ten Speed Press. Much thanks!

3 comments:

ZackRock said...

Hot dog, can't wait to get my hands on the book! Thanks Warren and Jeff for putting this together, all the entries were such a hoot!

Ridd Sorensen said...

Wow! Thanks so much, Warren. Great picks. Really looking forward to getting your book. I've already cleared a spot on my bookshelf next to Meet Mr. Product, though I think it's going to be a traveling companion of mine for a while ;)
Big thanks to Jeff as well for hosting this awesome challenge. Looking forward to the next one!

TS Rogers said...

Thanks very much Warren and Jeff. I'm honored to be amongst the winners and can't wait to dive into the book. I had never encountered the term suicidefoodism, but have always found the "happy to be eaten" ad animals a bit unnerving.