Oct 15, 2009

Classmate


Last night Danny Gregory and I went to the Bowery Bar and drew with his talented son Jack. I've watched Jack steadily improve his artistic ability over the years. Lately though, it's been a different story. He seems to vastly improved every few weeks. I've not seen anything like it before. Everything he does is far beyond his age. I paled in comparison when I was in his grade. I chose to do a caricature of him as my drawing subject.
I got a nice e-mail from an old college classmate, Michael Gelen. Thought I would share it.

Tom, quick story: I'm teaching an illustration class at Daemen College in Buffalo. We're getting ready to do a caricature assignment, so I'm putting together a Powerpoint presentation of great caricature art- Al Hirschfeld, David Levine, Philip Burke, etc. and during my internet searching I come across one Tommy Kane - some wonderful caricatures of Hillary and John McCain on notebook paper. Hope you don't mind, I threw them in the mix. BTW, you've probably heard it a billion times, but your sketchbook posts have inspired me to put down the digital stylus now and then and get back to pencils, pens and paper. Great, great stuff.

No comments: