Feb 17, 2006

Bandai Characters

I've been working on these little pixelated character icons for Bandai Japan for a few weeks. Here are my favorites of about 45 characters I had to create at 32x32 pixels in a nice chunky clean pixel style. They actually wanted the pixelated chunky feel so the final art was 32x32 CMYK files at 72dpi. That's a first.

They'll be used in a card game called 'Zu-Oh Brain Card Battle'. Don't ask me what that means or what some of the characters mean because frankly I couldn't tell you? Why they insisted on a tongue for the Sumo guy I didn't understand but it did make it goofy so that was ok. The art direction I got on some of these was pretty strange but I guess they know their demographic?

4 comments:

Elwood H. Smith said...

Hey, Vonster, those icons are great!

One question, though: Are you saying you achieved the "computerized" pixelated look by doing the art in Photoshop or some other bitmap program and then saving it at 72 dpi? The line looks so sharp as though it's been done in vector, so I'm confused. Not for the first time, I'll tell you.

-Elwood

Metin Seven said...

Nice pixel art, Vonster.

I can heartily recommend this piece o' pixel software to anyone:

Pro Motion (www.cosmigo.com)

Vonster said...

Elwood,

It's all done in Photoshop. 32x32 pixels. The mode I work in is 'CMYK' and the image size is set for 72 dpi. The art is being placed at 100% so it looks good.

It's kind of a print paradox. The files are saved out of the PSD as a .tiff. If you place that 32x32 CMYK 72 dpi file in a drawing app and scale up 1500% and print it out you'll be surprized at how sharp it looks. That is because all the art is at 90 degrees thus preventing a lot of natural anti aliasing you'd get with more detail.

I know it's kind of wierd but it's cool. My production minded design friends just shake their head when I tell them this. Because everyone knows 72 dpi is for online use only. Well technically this is one exception where it can be used for print. Go figure.

Elwood H. Smith said...

Thanks a lot, Vonster! I'll have to try that one time. I appreciate your sharing.

Best, ES