Feb 22, 2006

Doodles as Inspiration


I always doodle when talking on the phone. Most often I doodle over watercolor "color tests". On the right side of my drawing table I tape pieces of watercolor paper & use them to dab little blobs of color as I mix the colors for use in my assignment. When taking a phone call, I absentmindedly draw into those free-form watercolor shapes. I scissor out my favorites and tape them into a sketch book. When I'm blocked and can't either come up with an idea or a character, I open my books of collected doodles and, many times, am freed from my dastardly block.

4 comments:

Vonster said...

That is awesome!

Unknown said...

really fun doodles!

Jared Chapman said...

Elwood! These are wonderful! I vote you post these weekly. Just seeing them is a huge inspiration to me.

Ward Jenkins said...

What a great idea. I have plenty of "whatever" doodles -- most done while listening in on conference calls at work. I love these watercolor test doodles. Great stuff!