Feb 17, 2006

Need Examples of your Illustrations Process

I teach a digital illustration class at the local college here in town one day a week and I like to show the students how to go about refining their sketches and concepts so they can make a good bridge into the digital execution of them. To help them I took a students sketch and put together a simple step-by-step PDF that goes from a rough sketch, refining it and then building it digitally. The methodology can apply to any style and the more you can refine this bridge from concept sketches to final execution the stronger your end solution and artwork will be. At least that is how I present it and I believe it is true. Each step has notes explaining how and why it's important. A very helpful resource for my students to refer back to.

You can download the pdf here.

Many of you who post to this blog have incredible work and I'd love to show the students how you go about creating your work. Elwood Smith was very kind to let me share one of his recent projects from creative director scribble, his rough and refinements to the final fleshed out illustration.

If any of you would be willing to share a recent illustration you did and could de-construct it for me to show my students that would be wonderful. I teach in a nice digital classroom so I project everything on screen and I can take .jpg, .gif, .png, .tiff CS Illustrator, FreeHand 11 or PSD files. Whatever is easiest for you to send.

If you can include a simple explaination of each step or your insight that would be very helpful too. You can send anything in this regard to: teacher@glitschka.com

I appreciate the assistance.

PS: I'd love to show that 'Chief Olsen' work, it's a great example of capturing the flare and emotion of the sketch in the final artwork. If anyone knows that illustrators homepage or email please let me know. Thanks.

1 comment:

Jeff Andrews said...

Von-

Ridd Sorensen's blog can be found by clicking on his name to the right. There you'll find contact information and a link to his other site.

The marvels of modern technology eh? ;)