Feb 10, 2006

Oops! Wrong species

So an agency hires me to design a character for one of their clients products. They want a 'Tiger Cub' character. So I proceed to sketch out a character design and send it off.

Problem is the character I sketched is a 'Bear Cub' and not a 'Tiger Cub'? What the? Why did I do this you ask? Uh....don't ask me my brain somehow got stuck in 'Bear Mode' and this sketch popped out.



A little while later I get a confused email back from the creative director. Funny thing is he isn't saying "Why did you draw a Bear?" or "That's a #@$ Bear not a Tiger!" No he's too polite and is making comments like this:

"Kind of looks like a Bear."
"I don't think Tiger tails are that short."
"It would look better if he had some stripes."
"I think sharp teeth would look good too."


LOL, hello there chief it's a Bear! (With a somewhat hinky mouse type nose, but I won't go there)

At this point I realize my brain fart. I have to admit it's a first. Drawing the wrong animal that is. So I shoot off a quick email and tell him I'll be sending a new sketch shortly. Here is the second round sketch.



The creative director calls me and says "I was getting worried. At first I thought maybe you couldn't draw a Tiger or something?" He approved the sketch and I proceeded to the final version.



If any of you are wondering the pose he's in was requested. In context of it's final use it makes more sense then it does on it's own. Any how thought I'd share that funny little story.

6 comments:

Urban Barbarian said...

Great story! And I love the final art. Very well done!

Unknown said...

hahaha.. that is too funny. Very cool illustraion. It looks fun and if there was a kids pro football team, he would make a killer mascot!

Allan Lorde said...

Heh...that was pretty funny.

Jeff Andrews said...

Von,
you continually crack me up. I'd tell you to share the underwear story, buuuuut....nahhhhh!

Let's not go there. ;)

Billy Reid said...

Loved the story, very funny.

Paige Keiser said...

Hahahaha, great story! My brain farts always happen with the measurements of pieces, especially when I have to work 25 percent larger, and after the sketch, they decide they want to add a few inches of depth. I forget to shrink the drawing back to normal size before adding the extra measurements...whoops!

Great tiger illustration. He would make a good team mascot!