Jun 28, 2006

Looks like rain

Looks like rain

I drew this sketch of a little girl holding out her hand to capture the first raindrop of a storm several months ago. What a coincidence that this week's theme for Illustration Friday is Rain, huh? Nice. I didn't have to think too hard on the concept, however, I did have a dickens of a time trying to find the right color scheme. I went through several iterations, from green, blue, red, etc. At first I had her in mostly blue hues with a greenish background. But I realized that I use green and ochre way too much. I wanted to use colors that I normally wouldn't use. Peach seemed peachy keen to me.

Well, here ya go. What do you think?

-Ward

4 comments:

Kevin said...

Love the colors and the illustration. Did you do the line art and scan or do it digitally with a tablet?

Jeope said...

I don't see peach per se, but I was gonna comment on how cool it was that you did your sketch on packing paper or cardboard. Cute.

Ward Jenkins said...

Kevin, I drew it with pencil on paper then scanned it, and then colored it in Photoshop. And orginally, the dotted lines for the water drop was only about three lines. I drew the rest in Photoshop with that chalk brush I find myself using almost always. Has a nice natural look to it.

Ha! Thanks, Jeope. I think.

Jeope said...

I'm serious! Wipe that "I think" off yer face!