May 22, 2008

The New Way To Read


Now that I have a car I'm always listening to books on DVD. I'm hooked on them. My whole office has started doing it. We're big into history. My first was "Team of Rivals", Doris Kearns Goodwin's book about Lincoln. Then I followed up with "1776" by David McCullough, "Fiasco" by Thomas Ricks and now we are all sharing a 30 disc history of the United States. My co-workers and I stroll around the office with our heads full of useless trivia. We are constantly spouting wacky facts to one another. Like slaves in America used to be white. They were the riff-raff and prisoners from Europe but they kept running away and assimilating into society. Then someone had the idea of using black slaves because they would stand out in white society. I never knew that horrible fact. At the start of the revolution each soldier was given about nine bullets. Some were even given spears to use at close range as not to waste precious bullets and gun powder. A little different than going into Falluja. The women in the office think we are retarded. We have no off button. It does turn my car rides into pure bliss. Any book suggestions?

No comments: